Friday 21 June 2013

A Girl From The Neck Down

Suzi Chunk is a soul singer, who despite being based in the Welsh capital of Cardiff, distils the essence of the Motown and Stax record labels on her new debut album, Girl from the Neck Down.

The record was recorded at Sandgate Sound Studios over the last year and involved a number of collaborators including Glenn Prangnell, Bruce Brand, Allan Crockford, Nick Rice, Marty Ratcliffe and Mole Lambert. Suzi has honed her craft with live gigs with funk outfit Monkjack while her recordings have garnered praise from Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie on BBC 6 Music. Get the low down on her and her music below…

How long have you been making music?
I’ve been in various bands since 1998. I started when I first left my hometown in Teesside and headed to Cardiff. I love the team effort and the shared experience of making and performing music with like-minded people – there’s nothing quite like it.

What inspired your new album?
I met Glenn (Prangnell – co-writer on the record) online from finding his Groovy Uncle material on the internet. I really loved the honesty in his songs and the (what I would call) ‘proper’ melodies and harmonies. I grew up listening to a lot of Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Dusty Springfield – really classy pop stuff from the 1960s and 1970s. I really think he writes “classic” tunes. Eventually, he asked me if I’d like to record a couple of songs with him. From a couple of tunes it turned into a full album. I really loved the idea of making an album like the ones I listened to as a kid, full of strong melodies and hooks. Songs you can’t help singing along to.

What process do you go through to create your music?
I always work with others, usually in a band scenario. More often than not I’m given a rough bit of tune to put something over, then we get together and turn it into something more solid.

How would you describe your sound?
Honest, slightly raw, and warm.

What would your dream collaboration be?
Would have loved to have worked with Steve Marriott! And would love to work with the P-Funk mob and Larry Graham.

Where can we catch you performing next?
I perform regularly with a funk outfit called Monkjack in and around South Wales and beyond. This current project is trickier as far as performing live goes, as we’re all spread quite far apart so it’s hard to get gigs that pay enough to get us all together and break even. However, we’re really keen to get out gigging this album
M magazine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment